Swhatimtalkinbout

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

IndieNix Hurricane Blog

Hello all... all zero of you that read my blog.

It's 1:40 AM on Wednesday, September 15, about 18 hours away from Hurricane Ivan crossing over my beautiful home of New Orleans. The hurricane about to rail the living beejesus out of Mobile and Gulfport is still for some reason reading in national headline news as a potential million-person disaster in this city. Here are some of the headlines:

DIRECT HURRICANE COULD SINK NEW ORLEANS - Apple and Netscape TOP NEWS story
BIG EASY BECOMES BIG QUEASY as ""The Big Easy became The Big Queasy as the usually laid-back party town worried about deadly Hurricane Ivan..." - CNN
NEW ORLEANS EMPTIES AHEAD OF IVAN - ABC News, mentioning the 1.2 million evacuees

Once you check the following link, is it possible that these experts paid by these media giants are simply asked to focus on the absolute worst, the absolute negative, when it is obviously much more likely (75%+ more) that this hurricane will not directly hit New Orleans? Make the judgment yourself based on these charts (updated every four to six hours), and if they're not-up-to-date, refresh or click back to their main link. Here it is:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_astorm9+shtml/150318.shtml?

The only solid source of information I can currently find is this National Hurricane Center info which offers straight-up, unbiased information via military aircraft and satellite imagery of approaching storms. Educated meteriologists at CNN, ABC, FOX, and anyone at the Associated Press have the right to their own interpretation, but I urge you to take your own to see why I specifically stayed here.

Funny that no news station offers this direct informational link. Either way, keep track of this monster, because if it doesn't hit New Orleans, it will hit other victims regardless of population, AND it could make some chaotic turn and this be my last email . . . for a few days while I rescue children and tiny baby kittens I may end up having to barbecue. :)

Thanks,
Mike Nix

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't care to mention my name, but i do question your view on the media. I feel like nobody knows where the hurricane will end up and that's exactly my problem - what would you tell the public? That it's a total toss-up?

12:47 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think it is the time or place to focus on what the media's intentions are. I think it is everyone's responsibility to prepare for the absolute worse and it seems arrogant that you do not also do so. I am very concerned for your well being and i don't think this is a risk worth taking. Even if the chance is only 25%, or even 10%, that is one hell of a gamble.

7:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo, this is Nix posting anonymously cuz its easier to reply this way. Thank you for caring and being more careful yourself, but I have to argue again that the risk level even if a Category 5 hit directly still does not put me to that much of a risk in the building I am in and the way we've prepared. I definitely did not mean for it to sound like EVERYONE here should follow my viewpoint, because of course I'm playing with fire, its just a matter of preparing for it and really keeping track on how big the fire will be, especially at the turning point of this morning when I really would have left if it deemed absolutely necessary. Local news here is more on target than where most of you are reading this from, especially national news.

FIRE WATER I mean. HA HA!

Finally, please understand that of course people may die when this hits and I hope no one does. God Bless New Orleans when Ivan the Terrible smotes himself upon us.

1:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home